Monday, 8 March 2010


Wrote it, but completely forgot to put it up!! ><

After the long, arduous (well, not really, it was pretty chilled out to be fair!) road to the end of the term, we can finally say we did it! :)
We spent a lot of time on that project, each doing what we did best, or at least to the best of our abilities if we had no idea how.
If anything, I wish we could have had a little more organisation between us. We didn't do badly, but at times, we were all over the place. :)
I would have liked to make the scene bigger, but smaller is best, when you can detail it correctly.

Even though we couldn't get a final render done, which is still really rather annoying, we have a playblast. We tried to home render all our final scenes, but for some reason, even though the whole project folder was taken, some textures were missing. Despite being inside the folder, in the correct places. We will probably attempt ti figure it out over the time off, and hopefully come up with a full render, just for our own benefit. :)

I'm not sure what else to say, except that I'm really proud of my team, and that we all pulled through in the end. ^^

Friday, 5 March 2010

Problems, Problems, Problems. ):

We ended up having about a bajillion problems when the rendering happened.

Both Karl, and Harry attempted a home render, as the renders we attempted to send through to the render farm kept failing, or the settings were entered ever so slightly wrong.
It turns out, even after pulling the entire folder from my laptop where the final scene had been pieced together, and all the textures carefully kept in one place, some of them still ended up missing. x__o
It's visible in the final playblast, as the biggest one that disappeared was the market stall! I'm still not sure how that happened.

All in all, we couldn't get a final, shiny, lit render done within the time, but did manage a playblast. This unfortunately meant that we couldn't place the animations properly. :|

Wednesday, 3 March 2010




And the children started off as mine, but Dean gave me a kind helping hand. As a result, he has the final file. :)

Sunday, 21 February 2010

Final shops and pub

These are the final, finished models for the pub, and the two shops. Yes, I cheated and just butchered the larger shop to make the smaller one, but isn't that what production is all about? ;)
I could have found a better, simpler way of making the shop fronts than extruding them constantly to create what I did, but it works, and it is in the process of being properly textured, which is all good!! :)

Furniture - COMPLEETED

As you can see, very simple furniture for a very simple pub interior. :) Dead pleased with the way it's all turned out and fits in to my floor plan. I could have done the square tables a little better, but that's the simplest I could make them to cut down on polys. For added smoothness, really. They didn't need to be incredibly detailled, as they are in a poor person's pub, which made my life a little easier, in that respect. All in all, quite enjoyable to make!

Thursday, 18 February 2010

Pub Furniture

So, pooling together all my research images for pub furnishings, I have created some standard pub tables, chairs, stools and a bar area.
They're all coloured in to make me feel a bit better about them. :)

Very quickly photoshopped for reference whilst modeling, this is the final outcome of those drawings.

The L-shaped bar - using my own knowledge of pub furnishings, and various google image results for generic looking bar areas, this is what sprouted. Plain, simple, and made of wood. Not too fancy, as this is not a fancy-man's pub.
These tables and chairs, I had imagined to form a set of sorts, so they had to be very similar to each other. I ended up using an image of a table and two chairs posted previously (will edit it in later), as they pretty much spot on hit what I wanted to create, so the design is very much based on them. Simple, sturdy, possibly uncomfortable, but after a few pints you won't notice so much.
The bar stools! :) These were quite fun to do, actually. Its a generic stool. :) Round topped, long legged and has braces. Not much to say about it really. It's just a stool.

Round table, to match round chairs. Surprisingly difficult to do accurately - had to resort to rounded rectangles to get the shapes correct.

Modeled images in next post.

Friday, 12 February 2010

London Photo Spree!

As a group, we went up to London to get a load of reference photos from the city itself, including texture ideas, arch designs, ironwork, pub fronts, and the like.